Day 97Today I fixed learning. This means that tiny_mpi.ty simulation can now work in parallel mode with all of its original features turned back on. At this point, the only thing left for me to do, apart from writing the final report (40-60 pages btw.), is running lissom_oo_or.ty simulation in parallel.
If When I manage to do that, it will be the successful end of this project. So far, we managed to achieve speed-ups on any cortex/retina densities, on any number of CPU's (although the performance improvement scales down with each new CPU added into the system) and with learning and optimisation turned on, - not so bad. We might have expected greater speed-ups and the system to be scalable (i.e. adding one more CPU increases performance accordingly), but all in all, topographica is now twice (at least!) faster then it used to be and there's a whole lot of potential for improvement. Also, we have identified the new problems, bottlenecks and fixed a few old bugs along the way. Personally, I have developed a lot of understanding what parallel programming's all about, so it's all good.
Anyway, I haven't finished the project yet and there's still hell of a lot of work to do, so let's move on.
No comments:
Post a Comment