Friday, 12 August 2011

Performance results for PMI-optimised version


Slightly better than it used to be.

Parallel Efficiency:
cpu_cores: 1    E = 99.5%
cpu_cores: 2    E = 96.6%
cpu_cores: 4    E = 91.7%
cpu_cores: 8    E = 79.7%
cpu_cores: 16   E = 75.3%
cpu_cores: 24   E = 67.6%

And simulation total against node activation:


3 comments:

  1. Hi!
    May I ask what you mean by "New PMI"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking better. Got any multiple node timings at all?

    adrianj

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Olaf,
    Glad you're still following this blog. By "new PMI" I meant your PMI module with optimised invoke method: I made it use MPI.Gather instead of MPI.gather to avoid doing any pickling. Here's a discussion thread on the MPI4PY google group where the difference between the two routines is explained: http://groups.google.com/group/mpi4py/browse_thread/thread/a1741896517c7d12/5c5e604047365348?lnk=gst&q=konstantin#5c5e604047365348.

    The difference in usage between the optimised invoke and the standard one is that the send and receive buffers need to be passed together with the function call. I wanted to use the Bcast routine as well (instead of bcast), but it turned out to be a bit more complicated and in any case broadcasting data doesn't take much time in my simulations.

    ReplyDelete